What is Calgary Coffee Roasters
The first thing you should know is that Calgary Coffee Roasters has been around for a long time. We started in Calgary, Alberta in 2003. Since then, we’ve expanded to other cities in Canada and the United States, but we’re still keeping it local—and we’re proud of it. We believe that coffee is a personal experience. That’s why our company is dedicated to serving locally roasted coffee beans in each location where we have a shop.
This means that there are no “canned” blends from big brands—just the highest quality beans from local roasters who know what they’re doing. Our customers are also very important to us. We work hard to create an atmosphere where everyone feels welcome and comfortable when they walk through our doors. Whether that means providing a quiet place for students or creating an environment where families can come together over a cup of coffee with friends or coworkers, we want everyone who comes into one of our shops to feel like they belong there
Phil & Sebastian Coffee Roasters
Phil & Sebastian Coffee Roasters is a Calgary-based coffee roaster that has been around since 2005. With their second location opening in 2017 and a third location on the way, they have become one of the most recognized names in all things coffee in Canada.
Their Headquarters at 101 6th Avenue SW is open from 7am – 7pm Monday through Friday, Saturdays 8am to 5pm, and Sundays 9am to 5pm. They also have two other locations: 201 – 1020 17th Avenue SW open from 7am – 6pm Tuesday through Friday and 9am – 6pm Saturday; 210 12th Street SE (17th Ave end) open from 8am – 4:30 pm Monday through Thursday and 9:30 am -4 pm on Fridays.
Their menu offers an array of espresso based drinks as well as some tea lattes like earl grey or chai latte which are great options if you’re not into straight up black coffee! You can also get drip filter style americanos here too but they only serve one single size cup so if you want more than one shot there may be some fussing involved with getting refills!
There are many things that make this place special but my favorite thing about them is how unique their decor is! When I first went inside I knew right away that Phil & Sebastian was going to be something special because everything inside was so visually appealing—from its wood tables/chairs made out of old barn doors & reclaimed wooden beams overhead giving it this cozy vibe similar to something found out West somewhere…
A fixture on 17th Ave SW since 2011, Analog Coffee roasts and serves coffee, tea and baked goods. The space is homey, with comfy couches where you can read the paper or chat with friends while enjoying a cup of joe. You can also browse their selection of equipment for sale (from pour-over drippers to hand-blown glassware), or take a class from one of their baristas—an excellent way to learn how to make better coffee at home.
- Rosso was established in 2007. The company started as a coffee shop and roastery in Calgary’s historic Bank of Nova Scotia building in the Beltline.
- Rosso now has three locations: their original location, a second location on Kensington Road, and their third location at the corner of 2nd Avenue and 2nd Street SE in the East Village.
Gravity Espresso and Wine Bar
Located in the heart of downtown Calgary, Gravity Espresso and Wine Bar is one of the most well-known coffee roasters around. They serve a wide variety of coffee drinks and have become known for their signature lattes. What makes them unique? The company uses an artisanal approach to making coffee, which means they pay careful attention to every step of their process from sourcing beans all the way through to brewing your cup.
The space at Gravity is cozy but spacious enough for groups looking for a place to comfortably enjoy their drinks and food together. And if you’re not in the mood for something hot and caffeinated, they also serve an extensive selection of wines by the glass or bottle! So if you’re feeling hungry first thing in the morning (or late at night), be sure to check out this spot before heading home…
Wave Coffee House
- Waves Coffee House has four locations in Calgary, with the first one opening in 2016. The company also has a shop in Canmore, which opened in 2019.
- The friendly atmosphere at Wave Coffee House is thanks to its Canadian-owned company and knowledgeable staff. It offers a variety of coffee drinks and baked goods, including gluten-free options.
Knifewear Coffee Bar
Knifewear Coffee Bar is a Calgary staple, with locations in Kensington, Bridgeland and Inglewood. The coffee bar is known for its commitment to quality and community, and offers a variety of roasts from local roasters like Heartbeat Coffee Roasters and Red Deer Coffee Roasters.
They also have an extensive selection of teas (including some creative seasonal blends), as well as pastries made fresh daily by a team of bakers that includes the owner’s wife.
The baristas are friendly and knowledgeable about their products, which makes the experience even better! You’ll find yourself looking forward to your next visit just so you can chat with them again…and then admire their latte art while sipping on it too!
- Caffe Beano: This small coffee shop is located on 4 Street SW, with a second location at the Chinook Centre Mall. It’s open every day from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m., making it easy to visit if you’re in town for business or just want to grab some coffee before heading out to explore Calgary’s other sites and attractions (it’s right next door to Fort Calgary).
- Services offered include regular coffees, lattes and cappuccinos; pour-over coffees made with either single origin beans or blends of different kinds; and cold brews on nitro taps (which are essentially beer taps but filled with coffee instead). There’s also an espresso machine that makes specialty drinks like iced mocha lattes and frozen Nutella shakes—you know, for those days when you can’t decide whether you want dessert or breakfast first thing in the morning!
- The mission statement on their website reads: “We believe that good food stems from building relationships with farmers and producers who are passionate about what they do.” This belief comes through clearly in their drinks menu where each drink is described by its ingredients—and often how long it took them to source those ingredients! They also offer several vegan options so vegans don’t have to miss out on all the deliciousness (though there may be some slight differences between these options compared with ones containing dairy because of this fact). However, if you’re not a vegan then fear not: there are plenty of ways here where everyone can get together over something as universal as iced mocha lattes made using both dark chocolate sauce & caramel sauce poured over vanilla ice cream topped off w/ whipped cream!”
Higher Ground Cafe & Deli
If you’re looking for a place to go for your next first date, this is the perfect spot. You can sit and talk in a cute little nook with lots of natural light, and there’s even a patio out back that’s dog friendly! If you’re planning on taking an Instagram photo, they’ve got chalk boards hung up everywhere that say things like “We are not our stories” or “Be kind.” It also makes it easy to Instagram the coffee itself—they roast their own beans so they have some seriously good-looking drinks.
The prices here are very reasonable: most drinks are under $5. They also have gluten free options available, which is great if you’re trying to avoid certain food types due to allergy reasons (or if you just want something new). The staff will help you find something new too if all else fails!
I recommend ordering one of their lattes here; I know it sounds boring but trust me when I say it won’t disappoint!
Caffe Rosso is a Calgary-based coffee roasting company that offers a wide selection of locally roasted beans. All of the beans used by Caffe Rosso are organic and fair trade, which means that you can rest easy knowing that your morning cup is better for the environment and not just for your taste buds.
Caffe Rosso uses only the highest quality Arabica beans to create their blends. The roasting process is done in small batches at low temperatures in order to bring out the natural flavours of each bean. Their Diedrich Roaster ensures uniformity as well as control over variables such as temperature, airflow, and rotation speed—which means they’ll always make sure you get exactly what you want with every batch!
The best part? They’re located right here in Calgary! So if you want to try something new on your next visit (or just want some delicious cups of coffee), be sure not to miss this local favourite!
Fratello Coffee Roasters
Fratello Coffee Roasters, located in Calgary’s downtown core at 4th St & 7th Ave SW, is a family-run business that has been in operation since 2016. The name Fratello literally means “brother” in Italian, which you might have picked up if you read the word “Fratello” on their storefront sign. Their motto: “We roast coffee for people who care about what they drink.”
What kinds of beans do they roast? You can expect to find delicious blends such as Hazelnut Latte and Cinnamon Almond Cream on their menu board. If you’re into single origin coffees, there are plenty of options available too!
The owner, Mark D’Andrea (who has worked with some of Calgary’s top restaurants), was kind enough to share his favorite food and beverage pairings with us: “I love iced chai latte with a vanilla soft serve cone.” And when asked about his favorite coffee bean? He said without hesitation: “Colombian Hacienda Monzano.”
Vintage Coffee Roasters, LLC.
- Address: 917 11 Ave SW
- Type of coffee served: Specialty coffee, espresso-based drinks, tea, and kombucha
- Awards won: A few years ago they won a bunch of awards for their cold brew at the Canadian National Coffee Championship. They also have a special place in my heart because my sister works there and she tells me about all the cute customers that come in when I can’t be there 🙂
- Customer base: People who care about quality. You’ll see a lot of professionals here having meetings or people on their laptops working on things they’re passionate about (like me!). It has an atmosphere that is friendly and casual so you don’t need to dress up if you don’t want to!
- Unique Selling Points: They roast their own coffee beans right next door which means that everything tastes fresh! The word vintage means old-fashioned but they roast their beans so well that it makes them taste better than any other roaster out there! They also sell pastries made fresh daily by one of our local bakeries (Greg’s Bread).
These amazing Calgary Coffee Roasters will be worth the wait in 2022.
When you’re waiting for 2022 to arrive, though, don’t fret: there’s nothing that a good cup of coffee can’t fix. Here are 11 Calgary coffee shops you should start visiting now so that you’ll be ready when 2022 finally hits.
- Barismo Coffee Roasters – This is a great place to get your morning started with some delicious espresso drinks and baked goods made from scratch by Barismo’s talented team. They also have an amazing patio where you can get some fresh air while enjoying your favourite drink or snack.
- Third Coast Coffee Roasters – Third Coast’s coffee shop has a relaxed atmosphere and friendly staff who take pride in serving up high quality beverages along with tasty snacks like soup and sandwiches done up fresh daily using local ingredients whenever possible!
- Revolver Coffeeworks – Their motto here at Revolver is “drink coffee, do good.” That means they use their profits from selling delicious cups of joe from around town (and beyond!) to support local charities such as the Alberta Cancer Foundation & Calgary Women’s Emergency Shelter Society among others!
- Read More: Keep up the fight against COVID-19